I always prefer and love to work with startups simply because your every marketing strategy will be automatically aligned to overall business objective and that’s where I’ve learned a lot. My own experience with several startups from healthcare, travel, food and E-commerce businesses in last five years has been the biggest learning curve in my carrier.
The biggest roadblock of almost any startup is to connect with their target audience and turning visitors to customers. However driving your first 10,000 customers in one month is not easy at all, you need throughout understanding of the brand, target audience and relevant sources to utilize in the given time frame. By end of this post you’ll learn the step-by-step process to drive huge volume of website traffic in one month.
STEP 1 – CHOOSING YOUR NICHE WISELY
You understand your business more than anyone and that’s how it should be, right? In order to choose your business niche, you need to answer one very important question to yourself – Is there traffic potential?
The best way to answer this question is to collect the set of relevant business data from following sources:
- Use Google Keyword Planner to check monthly search volume of your business intent keywords
- Search multiple niche keyword to understand bigger picture of your business on web
- Play with keyword filter option to change date range, filter your keyword result based on number of searches and add negative keywords to collect data.
- Use Google Trends to gauge the interest in a particular niche on the web
Once you have the list of keyword with relevant data, you should be able to answer following three questions conveniently: (I’ll further explain keyword research in detail)
- Who is ranking on most competitive keywords?
- This will give you a clear understanding of your top business competitors, list them down with their SERP position and keywords
- What type of content is getting more visibility in search result?
- This will give you an idea of where your competitors are lacking and how can you fill the void as far as content is concerned.
- How you should structure your website URL?
- It’s better to have descriptive URL structure from both search engine and your potential visitors to give both a clear idea of what this page is all about.
By now you must have the list if your top competitors, so it’s time to use a backlink checker tool like “Open Site Explorer” or “Majestic SEO” or “Ahreafs” to get a closure look of the backlink structure of your competitors website.
STEP 2 – SELECTING YOUR DOMAIN TO PROMOTE
Choosing a domain name is very similar to choosing a company name, it requires a lot of thought and consideration because your domain name is your identity on the web.
You should choose a domain name that not only fits your business identity but it should be easy to remember because that will help you in word of mouth marketing of your business. Here are some handy tools to find best domain names:
Domain Bot – Enter a word or phrase and it will find available domains
Domain Hacks – Get creative suggestions to help you find a domain name
BustAName – Add multiple words to get combination of relevant keywords
STEP 3 – STRATEGIC KEYWORD RESEARCH
Before stepping into keyword research phase, it’s really important to switch the perspective and start thinking about your business from a customer’s perspective.
Understanding the context of the search will help you choose valuable keywords for your business. Organize your potential keywords with multiple stages of the sales funnel and weed out the audience that is not easy to convert.
Pay Attention to Monthly Search Volume: Monthly search volume indicates how many people are searching for a topic, the more searches, the more popular it is.
Pay attention to relative competition: The more competition, the more people are going after the keyword. It may be harder to rank for the phrase if there is a significant amount of competition.
STEP 4 – CRAFTING A BETTER CONTENT MARKETING STRATEGY
Effective Content Marketing is one of the most successful online marketing strategy to drive relevant traffic and most importantly convince them to become your loyal customer.
Creating a content marketing strategy isn’t as easy as it may seem. You can’t just throw hundreds of articles up on the web and expect them magically to rank well on Google. I am sharing some quick tweaks/insights to help you craft better content marketing strategy for your business.
- Create sharable content for your audience, you can’t expect to write 30-40 mediocre articles and get prominent ranking. Make your content title engaging and catchy, you should look for keyword research data for title suggestions.
- Write detailed content – However it’s a debatable topic when it comes to word-count, but now it’s proven that a detailed content can increase the probability of ranking on many long tail keywords.
- Content doesn’t come just in the form of a text. You can leverage videos, photos, infographics, comics or any other type of content that your mind can come up with.
- Content Marketing should be considered as a long term ROI business model. People can read your many blogs and then decide to buy your product or services.
- The best way to get people to continually come back and read your content is through emails. Collect people’s email addresses and notify them when you have a new blog post.
- Develop a conversation with your reader, use words like “I” and “You” to connect and engage with your target audience.
- Use some tools like “social metrics pro” and “Buzzsumo” to measure the effectiveness of your content on different social media channels.
- There are more than 800 Million mobile internet users are active today, make sure your content is easily consumable and sharable on mobile devices as well.
STEP 4 – SMART INTEGRATION OF ANALYTICS
Analytics helps you understand the performance of your overall marketing efforts and ways to improve the same. Google Analytics is one of the best analytics tools to measure your marketing efforts in lowest possible cost.
Here are some quick insights you’ll get once you enabled your analytics code on your blog/website:
- Who your target audience is?
- What they’re doing on your site?
- What they like and what they don’t?
Translating analytics data for marketing improvements: Here are some common ways you can translate business decisions from analytics and effectively improve your overall marketing efforts:
- Notice if people aren’t drawn to a certain piece of content then you can analyze the type of content, time spend on the page and then make significant changes to make it more interesting.
- Notice if people aren’t spending less time on website then you can interlink relevant content to keep them engaging. Also you can encourage them to comment and share with other readers in their community.
- If you notice that most of the website traffic is coming from social media channels then it’s better to share more content on different social media channels with relevant hashtags and call to action.
- If you have seen sudden increase/decrease on mobile visitors then it’s important to take action accordingly and make sure you are offering seamless experience on different screen users.
STEP 5 – LEVERAGING SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS EFFECTIVELY
Social Media channels can work as one of the most effective marketing channel to drive massive traffic to your online repositories. Before going ahead with social media marketing strategy, first understand the way different social media channel behave and why your target audience is coming on social media channel.
- It’s better to join other network in the relevant community and involve with them by sharing/commenting on their content as well.
- Identify the best time to post content on your social media channels, use tools like simplymeasured and share your content accordingly on different social media channels
- Use many other free tools like “Twitonomy”, “Twitter Analytics”, “Hootsuit”, “FanPageKarma” or “Buffer App” to analyse your audience and find ideal posting times.
- Integrate your blog with prominent social media channels and make sure content sharing is extremely convenient from your blog. Use best practices like Facebook Graph and Twitter Cards to get rich visibility on social media.
STEP 6 – IMPLEMENTING GROWTH HACKING
Growth hacking is the next generation marketing strategy for startups. It is a technique to get more number of visitors to your website. Strategic execution of growth hacking helps in acquisition, activation and retention of users. Once you retain the users then you can monetize from the active users.
Growth Hacking Example- AirB&B figured out a programmatic approach to posting their listings to Craigslist to drive more bookings.
Here are some common ways to experience growth hacking with your inbound marketing strategy:
Timeline to execute – 1 to 2 Weeks:
- Create an RSS Feed of your blog
- Ask people you know for links to drive visitors
- Thoughtful blog commenting on other sites of your niche
Timeline to execute – 3 to 4 Weeks:
- Interlinking of other pieces of your content
- Link out to other sites to start a relationship with them
- Press Release distribution/submission
Timeline to execute – 6 to 8 Weeks:
- Develop a blog for your business
- Frequently sharing engaging and problem solving content
- Sharing case studies/complete guides and resources
Timeline to execute – More than 12 Weeks:
- Increasing blog signups and maintaining relationship
- Getting interviewed with top new portals
Collection of growth hacking tools for modern marketers
Digital Marketing is constantly changing at a rapid pace and you have to be on top of every spectrum to handle it more effectively. In order to show the elevated visitors graph to your clients/ investors, it’s important to adopt what’s happening and have a deep understanding of your business, target audience and analytics to help you take better marketing decisions.
So what are your proven methods to increase potential traffic to a website?